As scrap metal dealers working across the West Midlands and the whole of the UK, R Davies Metals & Sons Ltd are fully compliant with all existing regulation. Call us today to find out more about our compliance policies and get a free quote from our team.
The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013
The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 came into force on the 1st October 2013 and R Davies Metals and Sons Ltd is fully compliant with all of its requirements. Metal theft in the UK is estimated to cost the economy up to £777 million annually, according to recent statistics. It also causes disruption to energy supplies, transport and telecommunications when cables are stolen. Other thefts include manhole covers and the desecration of war memorials. It is because of the scale and the nature of metal theft that the new Scrap Dealers Act has been introduced.
In summary the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 makes the following stipulations:
- Requires individuals and businesses to obtain a scrap metal dealer licence
- Local authorities have the power to turn down unsuitable applicants and revoke licences
- All metal sellers have to provide personal ID at the point of sale, which is then recorded by the scrap metal dealer
- It is now an offence to buy metal with cash from itinerant metal collectors
- There are new powers for the local authority and police to inspect scrap metal dealerships
- Creation of a public register to list all individuals and businesses licensed as scrap metal dealers
- Definition of a scrap metal dealer to include motor salvage operators
Monday to Friday: 07:30 – 17:00
Saturday: 07:30 – 12:00
Get in Touch With Us!
Contact us today to get a free quote on scrap metal clearance and a range of services from our scrap metal experts. We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.